Separated at Birth?

“Hey man, nice outfit.” – Mitt Romney

 

 

 

 

“Corporations Are People, My Friend” – Mitt Romney [Video]

No, they are not.  They are corporations.

Only 18,000 Jobs in June

Jobs report is awful. Politicians’ response worse.

THE MADDOW BLOG
Fri Jul 8, 2011 10:14 AM EDT

Private-sector job growth, charted by Steve Benen.

The June unemployment report is in, and it is bad, maybe even terrible. The unemployment rate edged upward from 9.1 percent to 9.2 percent. What’s worrying is that the economy seems to have stopped adding jobs. We already know we have millions of people out of work. Now we need businesses to hire some humans so the unemployment rate can go down.

Overall, the economy added just 18,000 jobs. Statistically, it almost might as well not have added any — we need more to add 150,000 jobs or so each month just to keep even. The private sector kicked in 57,000 jobs, but government laid off 39,000 people.

Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has been going around the campaign trail saying that President Obama made the recession worse, and then saying he never said that. Today he released this statement:

“Today’s abysmal jobs report confirms what we all know – that President Obama has failed to get this economy moving again. Just this week, President Obama’s closest White House adviser said that ‘unemployment rates or even monthly jobs numbers’ do not matter to the average American.

“If David Plouffe were working for me, I would fire him and then he could experience firsthand the pain of unemployment. His comments are an insult to the more than 20 million people who are out of work, underemployed or who have simply stopped looking for jobs. With their cavalier attitude about the economy, the White House has turned the audacity of hope into the audacity of indifference.”

Notice that Mr. Romney left off the part about Mr. Obama making things worse. As bad the situation is — and it seriously is bad — it’s not worse than before the president took office.

House Speaker John Boehner again referred the nation to his party’s 10-page clip art plan (pdf) for job creation. As Ezra Klein writes, this chronic unemployment started as a financial crisis. It has become a political one. “We could do more,” he writes. “We should do more. But Congress won’t do anything more.”

Mitt Romney’s Reasoning

Here is a post on the National Review by Mitt Romney himself regarding his refusal to sign the Susan B. Anthony List’s Pro-Life Presidential Pledge circulated among GOP Presidential Candidates.  His reasoning is simple: Romney believes that “abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother,” which this pledge does not leave room for.  However, he also believes that federal funding should be stripped from organizations such as Planned Parenthood, “which primarily performs abortions or offers abortion-related services.”

First of all, to the GOP Presidential Candidates that signed on to this pledge: how can you be pro-life and not believe that the life of the mother is equally valuable?  Furthermore, why is quality of life not important?  Surely you cannot believe that the eleven year old girl who is raped by her father and is forced to give birth to the child that is conceived is going to have the same quality of life as a child born to two consenting adults.  Apparently if you are riding the Susan B. Anthony List bandwagon, you either believe this or do not believe that quality of life has a role in this argument.

Second, hasn’t this misconception about organizations like Planned Parenthood been resolved?  Did you miss the infamous Jon Kyl (AZ) incident in which he reported on the Senate floor that “well over” 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does is perform abortions?  The real number is about 3%.  First grade math will tell us that this leaves 97% of other services that Planned Parenthood offers that have nothing to do with abortions.  Glad we cleared that up.

Third, why is this even an argument?  Women should be able to choose what they do with their bodies.  Women are competent enough to make decisions for themselves regarding their bodies.  Trust me, women are not using abortion as birth control.  There are not mad women running around getting pregnant just so they can get an abortion.  Those that have to make the decision are doing so after giving great thought to the circumstances surrounding their pregnancy.  If you haven’t already, check out Representative Jackie Speier’s (CA) testimony on the House floor regarding her personal experience with making the very difficult decision regarding abortion.